Moon Gardens – Illuminating Inspiration
Categories: Blog, Moon Gardens
In the summer months, we do a lot of garden entertaining in the evening. Why not set aside a moon garden space that really shines when the sun goes down?
Inspired by Tradition
A moon garden is a time-honored tradition in India and Japan, designed to be appreciated by moonlight. Enjoy a moon garden to not only escape the heat of the day, but also to celebrate the moon’s influence on the Earth’s environment.
The essence of a moon garden is to create an ethereal oasis which entices the senses like a dream. There are three basic sensations you should consider while planning your moonlit haven:
- Sight: White flowers, cream-variegation and silver foliage all pop in the moonlight, unlike colored flowers which seem dim or muddled. However, if you don’t want to go totally monochromatic, blue and yellow flowers make good accents.
- Scent: Many flowers are fragrant at night to attract nighttime pollinators such as bats and moths. Strategically place these plants near a patio or pool where they can be appreciated.
- Sound: At the end of the day, surrounded by soothing fragrance and luminescent foliage, what could be better than hearing the gentle trickle of water in a fountain or water feature? As a bonus, if you have a pond stocked with fish they will help keep mosquito populations down. Tip: For even greater mosquito-deterring power, try a mosquito repellent such as Bonide Mosquito Beater.
Plants That Glow in the Moonlight
- Euphorbia ‘Silver Swan’ & ‘Tasmanian Tiger’
- Bush Morning Glory
- Lavender Cotton
- Dichondra ‘Silver Falls’
- Lungwort ‘Silver Bouquet’
- Variegated Flax Lily
- Variegated Dogwood
- Jacob’s Ladder ‘Strairway to Heaven’
- Pineapple Guava
- Dead Nettle
- Lamb’s Ear
- Dusty Miller
- Variegated Gardenia ‘Radicans’
- Lily Turf ‘Silver Dragon’
- Brunnera ‘Jack Frost’
- Carex ‘Everest’
- Snow in Summer
- Silver Thyme
White-blooming Flowers for Every Season
Tip: Make sure to visit our nursery often throughout year to get the full spectrum of white-flowering plants to illuminate your moon garden all year.
* Items marked with a ★ are fragrant.